Re: [OM] OtT Grad ND/ iPad/ Apostrophe.

Subject: Re: [OM] OtT Grad ND/ iPad/ Apostrophe.
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 10:50:01 -0500
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 5:37 AM, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A Knyght ther was, and that a worthy man,
> That fro the tyme that he first bigan
> To riden out, he loved chivalrie,
> Trouthe and honour, fredom and curteisie.
>
> (Knight pronounced Ke-nich-tuh)
>

> Go here and hit the .wav file button at the bottom -
> http://faculty.smu.edu/bwheeler/Ency/ktale.html
>
> Doesn't sound very Carolina to me!

The sound file illustrates the consonants and otherwise silent letters
that need to be pronounced to get Chaucer's poetry to scan, among
other things.  As for the "sound" of it -- it sounds like a Yank down
the street doing a reading.  If I read a passage of Don Quixote in
Castilian Spanish, I might illustrate some peculiarities of the
dialect, but I can guarantee I'd sound like a Yank doing it.  Not what
the sound file is meant to illustrate, I think.

Joel W.