Re: [OM] B&W filters on digital [was Non Bokeh 50mm F1.4 pictures]

Subject: Re: [OM] B&W filters on digital [was Non Bokeh 50mm F1.4 pictures]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 08:22:27 -0400
I'm not sure I agree about noise.  If I use ACR to do the B&W conversion
of this JPEG image and set red at maximum and all other colors at
minimum what I see at 100% is a highly pixellated image in the sky.  I
can remove the pixellation with the ACR noise control.  However, after
backing down to lower magnification what I see is posterization, not
noise.  Adding back some blue eliminates the posterization.  I think
maybe the single channel (at least as a JPEG) doesn't have the tonal
differences to create a smooth looking image.  Maybe the raw file done
this way would be different?

Chuck Norcutt