Re: [OM] Sony NEX-5 Hands On

Subject: Re: [OM] Sony NEX-5 Hands On
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 08:31:56 +1000

On 23/05/2010, at 1:41 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> Hey, if you're going to beat me up you should at least read the specs
> first.  Yes, it does use SD cards in all their incarnations but it
> also
> uses (because Sony can't admit they were wrong) Memory Stick Pro Duo.
> <http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sonynex5/page2.asp>

Damn, you got me - just because there's only one slot and Sony
never, ever mentions the Memory Stick at these events unless you ask,
I assumed.....
Treacherous swine they are

> And I didn't consider that I was being impolite, just letting you all
> know how it is for many others who have no idea what the technology
> demands really are.  Those folks are good friends and also attend the
> photography class I started up not too long before I left.  I hope I
> can
> eventually teach them what they need to know or else do it for them
> if I
> can't.  The wife teaches us how to navigate the social obligations of
> our new community and many other practical things about life there.
> The
> man also has much to teach me.  He was wounded at Anzio and
> recuperated
> in England just in time to join the D-Day invasion.  He was also a
> railroad engineer most of his later life extending from steam to
> diesels.  All fascinating stuff.  :-)

I think I rose to this because I've been the victim - people will
assume you are stupid because you lack knowledge in their special area
of expertise. And I was a bit short yesterday with someone who asked
me 'what's a good brand of camera?' Dumb question but she didn't know
that. My guilt. The response to stories like the one you told tends to
be 'how could anyone be that daft?' Well, easily. We all do it.
They must be getting on. My father drove a landing craft at Anzio and
he's nudging 90.

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx