Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 21/5/2010: Boston car

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 21/5/2010: Boston car
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 15:09:44 -0700
On 5/22/2010 2:28 PM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
>> ...that atheists are pretty much the last group it's OK to discriminate
>> against in the United god-bothering States. Care to comment?
>>
> Yep....  Nope.

I know the USA is seen as the country of the God Botherers. Still:
--------------------------------------
A USA Today/Gallup Poll in 2002-JAN showed that almost half of American
adults appear to be alienated from organized religion. If current trends
continue, most adults will not call themselves religious within a few
years. Results include:

About 50% consider themselves religious (down from 54% in 1999-DEC)
About 33% consider themselves "/spiritual but not religious/" (up from 30%)
About 10% regard themselves as neither spiritual or religious.
Polling data from the 2008 ARIS study:

This study was essentially a repeat of the 2001 poll. It involved 54,461
respondents.

Between 1990 and 2008, an interval of 18 years, some of the more notable
changes were.
-     The percentage of American adults [who] identify themselves with a
specific religion dropped from 89.5% to 79.9%:

-     Americans who identify themselves as Christian dropped from 86.2
to 76.0 -- a loss of 10.2 percentage points in 18 years -- about 0.6
percentage points per year. A similar decline was observed in Canada.

-     Americans identifying themselves as Protestant dropped from 60.0
to 50.9%.

-     Catholics declined from 26.2% to 25.1%

-     Religious Jews declined from1.8% to 1.2%.

-     Muslims increased from 0.3 to 0.6%.

-     The fastest growing religion (in terms of percentage) is Wicca --
a Neopagan religion that is sometimes referred to as Witchcraft.
              -     From 1990 to 2001: Numbers of adherents went from
8,000 to 134,000.

-     15.0% (14.1%) do not follow any organized religion. There are more
Americans who say they are not affiliated with any organized religion
than there are Episcopalians, Methodists, and Lutherans combined.

Religiously Statistical Moose