Re: [OM] Demise of the Gs? [was Oly 9-18 vs Panasonic 7-14: any experien

Subject: Re: [OM] Demise of the Gs? [was Oly 9-18 vs Panasonic 7-14: any experience--Sony's NEX vs G11
From: "Sue Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 08:35:49 -0500
 It appears to me that
> the latest compression algorithms differentially compress parts of the
> same frame, concentrating detail on the brighter, more contrasty parts.

A local broadcast engineer tells me that you should expect your DTV signal
to deliver an even worse picture soon. There is a new service that offers
streaming TV to cars and such that takes a bit out of their signal as a paid
hitchhiker. This can be done by further compression. Oh, goody. I don't know
what service, but could it be the new FloTV stuff?

 But you know, the old analog
> stations went out occasionally too.

But unlike digital, analog signals went out in a more civilized say. You
could have a great signal or a slowly  degrading one, while with digital
it's either fantastic or gone.

Ain't no analog channels any more.
Not exactly, the low power stations are not required to make the conversion,
but they are notably poor in quality anyway.

And by the way, Moose, a 61" TV!?!?!? That's wall sized! I'm envious!

Bill Pearce