Re: [OM] Demise of the Gs? [was Oly 9-18 vs Panasonic 7-14: any experien

Subject: Re: [OM] Demise of the Gs? [was Oly 9-18 vs Panasonic 7-14: any experience--Sony's NEX vs G11
From: "Sue Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 09:04:21 -0500
> I have both, and have had for years. The difference between the old
> analog signals and DTV is an obvious improvement on the 27" analog CRT.
> The improvement going from analog to HD on the digital set is night and
> day.
Regardless of what you see with the best possible signal, there are some
problems-
Over the air reception is problematic. One local station had to add a second
channel and transmitter and antenna to get out enough power to barely, and I
do mean barely cover its former area. Others have had to increase power, and
the FCC h ad special programs to speed power requests after the conversion.
Our local public TV station, already in a weaker position, simply doesn't
have the money to increase power and has lost almost all its coverage in
highly populated areas. Perhaps Sesame Street for cows is in order. Like all
things digital, there is no "fringe" area, that's one of low signal, not one
like in your community, the signal is either great or not at all.

With cable and over the air, we have ongoing problems with sound and picture
being offset slightly sometimes. Sometimes pictures can freeze, and can
pixelllate strangely.

Analog channels on the cable look worse than on an analog TV.

Live things like sports, often look great, while programs that I watch, that
are filmed or taped, can be a problem.

When it's good, DTV is great. When not, it's awful.

Bill Pearce