Re: [OM] Incident Light Metering, A moment of weakness

Subject: Re: [OM] Incident Light Metering, A moment of weakness
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 11:11:40 -0400
Nicholas,
  I won't go as far as to say that are overrated, but I have learned to live
without one. I have an old Rollei 35 with a broken meter that I like to
shoot from time to time. I load it with ISO 100 slide film and carry in my
wallet a chart of exposures for different lighting conditions: bright sun,
weak hazy sun, bright cloudy, heavy clouds and deep shade. It is basically a
glorified version of the suggested shutter speeds that are printed inside
the Kodak film boxes. It works fine and if I'm not sure about the light I
bracket a bit.
  Regarding the OM's, the OM-1 seems to have the most problem with
shutter/stop down vibration that is most evident when tripod mounted.
Mounting the wetware on top (i.e. laying your hands on it as you shoot)
seems to help. The OM-2's, 3 and 4 are probably a bit better damped
internally but more importantly some of the later models have a shutter
delay feature that trips the shutter 10 seconds after you press the shutter
release. This allows time for the vibrations from raising the mirror and
stopping down the aperture to play out  before the shutter is opened. I know
the OM-4T had this and I suspect the -3T and -2s as well.

Charlie