Re: [OM] OM-3Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-3Ti
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 16:14:26 -0500
My personal take, which I've expressed before is this:

1. A NIB OM-3Ti with all the plastic protectors still attached should, at
this point, remain NIB and not used. The camera represents far more value as
an investment than a camera. I believe that in ten years, the investment
will prove to be a wise one.

2. A used OM-3Ti should be placed in the hands of photographers wanting the
best possible OM camera for the purpose.

3. Technically, the OM-4T/Ti is a better camera in most regards, but it does
have the electronic shutter which is better under MOST conditions. But I can
think of and have personally experienced specific circumstances where the
mechanical shutter of the OM-3Ti has/would have been very beneficial.

4. The OM-1(md/n) is most certainly NOT as smooth in operation as the
OM-3Ti. There is a difference in how the cameras vibrate during exposure.

5. The OM-3Ti is extensively sealed against the environments, whereas the
OM-1(md/n) isn't so much.

6. Metering system. No comparison. The mirror-chamber metering means
brighter focusing screens without the swings in accuracy.

My current harem includes the OM-2S, OM-4T and OM-3Ti. Each camera is quite
different from each other and has very specific handling/operational
strengths. I do not use the cameras the same way. Depending on the
application I will grab one over the others.

As I've said previously, had I known back in the '90s what the OM-3Ti was
REALLY like, I would have gotten one back then. It really is in a different
league than other OM bodies. It not only looks different and sounds
different, but it also feels different. I know what you all are saying about
vibration, but honestly, I have less vibration problems with the OM-3Ti than
any other OM body.

AG