[OM] My first photo book

Subject: [OM] My first photo book
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 22:56:42 -0700
I know a few others here have at least mentioned ordering photo books,
some with links.

I've been waiting for a 'sign', and got it when MyPublisher.com offered
a special trial of their new books with printed cover, rather than dust
jacket - $29, plus $9 shipping, for their ~8.5x11" hardcover book. So I
put together a book of 100 images, the maximum they can handle.

I chose images from my Three Days in Brooklyn project because it was a
set requiring minimal work to ready for a book and because of the wide
range of subjects, lighting, etc.

I submitted the order on the afternoon of 4/12, after their operations
were closed. I got a progress update and link to an online version on
the 15th., shipping notice on the 19th. and received it on the 24th. So
11 days to get it.

The on-line version isn't bad, just barely big enough to give a sense of
the contents, and with a nice interface.
<http://www.mypublisher.com/?e=OHm3Q8zJl3SQsCHj7ohK49ZABIg-6y6P&_mp=9KNdYHgUDCYziUVyrMoeuKyUUX4S8GAl%0A>

I was really impressed with almost everything about the result. Thick,
high quality paper beautifully printed, as good as any photo books I
have. In fact, it made my a bit disappointed with the printed image
quality in "Galen Rowell, A Retrospective", that I ran across at a used
book store today. Bought it anyway. :-)

Those who have seen it have been literally wowed. I guess there really
is something about good images on heavy paper in a book that has more
impact than smaller versions of the same images in a web gallery. ;-)

Before I get into too much detail ... I recall several comments and a
couple of links to folks others have posted here. In reading on-line
user reviews, it's clear that quality has varied for various publishers
over the last few years. I have trouble imagining better paper and
images than I got, and wonder if anyone on the list has recent
experience(s) they'd like to share.

I downsampled from my full size processed images using FastStone, adding
a bit of sharpening so they wee very slightly crunchy. I didn't realize
until later that FS doesn't include the color profile, at least in
downsized JPEGs from PSD files. So I had sent on what I suppose were
aRGB images without embedded profiles.

Nevertheless, the colors are excellent. There are a lot of different
skin tones in the set and several friends have been through the book
without any negatives comments on any colors. I seem to have hit the
sharpening too, as detail is excellent. About the only thing I would be
aware of next time is that shadows are pulled down a bit compared to
viewing on screen. Not enough to be a problem except on one , relatively
unusual, image.

MyPublisher's book prep software isn't bad, but a bit obscure at first.
With real instructions, it would be pretty good. The page layout feature
uses various frames, "molds" I think they call them. I wasted some time
trying to work with them. I couldn't seem to get the single, portrait
format image frame to come out the way I wanted it. Checking their FAQ,
I found the pixel size for a full page image, 1600x1200 pixels.

I gave up on the frames and used FS again to enlarge the canvas of all
images to that size, with the non-image area black, as I like it. I then
just dragged all the images into the book. I don't know if I did
something wrong, but it seemed to apply random page layouts, so I had to
go through page by page to get them all correct. However, that turned
out to be a good thing for me. Never having put images in book form, I
wouldn't have realized the importance of facing pages without that exercise.

I left the images mostly in chronological order, but did move a few
around (very easy) to make interesting two page spreads. I had gone
through the book more than twice before submitting it. Something went
wrong, perhaps the app sent the last formally saved version, rather than
the live one. Anyway, all was well except for the very last page, a full
page landscape image that was cropped to a vertical with bit, white
spaces on both sides.

I dropped them a line and they immediately responded with a coupon
number to reorder it for free with free shipping, overnight if I wanted
it. I altered a couple of images slightly and flipped the order of one
page spread, replaced a fancy cover font that didn't work well in small
size and sent it off. Now I have a second, perfect copy.

All in all, I'm impressed. I would take me a long time and undoubtedly
cost more to print up all 100 images myself, especially in black ink
cost for all the non-image areas. The list price of $113.95, plus $8.99
shipping comes to $1.22 per 8.5x11" image, all bound up in a nice
quality cover. I imagine I'll a get couple of other books of images
ready keep watch on their coupons.

A. Wordy Moose