Re: [OM] House fire photos

Subject: Re: [OM] House fire photos
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 14:09:25 -0500

> You'd rather see bloody victims?  I find it offensive when photographs
> intrude on people in traumatic situations in the name of news.  I may need
> to know there has been an accident on the interstate, but I don't need to
> see people on stretchers or mangled bodies to get the point across.  For
> me,
> this falls into the 'just because we can doesn't mean we should' category.

Not necessarily, but why even bother to send a camera crew out? Doesn't KCCI
and WHO already have thousands of hours of file-footing of cruisers,
helicopters, ambulances and firetrucks just sitting there? And then, they
have to go manufacture news by interviewing a bystander that arrived after
the news crew got there saying "Oh how awful".

"Breaking News:  Watch this ambulance drive down the road with it's lights
on!  Now we return you to the final gotcha scene of CSI--Oops, sorry, you
missed it."

I don't need to see the blood and guts, but please don't waste my time.
It's really no different than Sports Illustrated showing pictures of the
celebration after the win instead of a picture of the winning plays.  Scrum
photos are what leads. There are alternative ways to present the breaking
news without insulting us.

Weegee would never have been able to make it in today's news coverage.

How about all those Pulitzer winning photographs from the past?  There was
recent discussion of the photo of Jack Ruby shooting Oswald. That photo
would never run now. What about Boris Yaro's iconic photo of Robert Kennedy
laying on the floor? These are photographs of tragic events, but without
these photographs, we as a society may not change.

As long as we fail to put a face to car accidents caused by drunken drivers,
for example, we as a society won't take ownership in the solution. Whether
or not we WANT to see blood, guts and even death, without seeing it, we have
no ownership in solving the problems.

At least one of our major television networks has a policy of no longer
showing any footage of the 9-11 disaster because it unduly tramautizes our
children. What utter hogwash. Let's not teach any history in school because
there are wars in our past and we all know that wars mean gunshots, blood
and death.

My opinion only--excuse my venting, but this is a sore spot with me. I do
understand the other side to this and I agree with some of the points, but
on balance I believe it's misguided thinking.

AG