[OM] 35/2: poor performer and other myths

Subject: [OM] 35/2: poor performer and other myths
From: Nicholas Herndon <nherndon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 17:03:36 -0500
For a long time I avoided the OMZ 35/2 because of what I read on
various message boards and websites.  But when looking for examples
online, I found surprisingly little in the way of real world images
taken with this lens.  I like 35mm as a focal length, and while I was
not very fond of the 35/2.8, I was keen on getting a 35mm lens for my
OM after getting rid of my 35/2.8.  So I decided to take a chance on a
35/2 that John H had for sale on his site.  Prices on the OMZ 35/2
have been ridiculously low as of late, so I figured now was the time
to buy.
I have not been disappointed.  It is a sharp lens, with good contrast,
and useable wide open.  It would make a good combo with the 100/2 or
135/2.8.  My only complaint is that the bokeh can be a bit busy
sometimes, but it's not terrible.
And speaking of useable wide open, my recently acquired OMZ 55/1.2 is
eminently useable wide open.  In fact, I prefer using it wide open for
the look that it gives.  It can be somewhat unpredictable in its
rendering, and focus is critical with such a thin DoF, but after just
a few short weeks it is toward the top of my list of favorite Zuikos.
I don't know that I would call it sharp wide open, but it is sharp
enough, with good contrast and really nice bokeh.  In fact, because of
this lens, I have started using a lot more of my lenses wide open.
Why pay for speed if you're not going to use it?

Anyone else have any experiences that fly in the face of conventional
photography wisdom?