Re: [OM] Weather stuff

Subject: Re: [OM] Weather stuff
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 09:51:05 -0500

> P.S.  Where is the "safe room"?

Where he keeps his 3Ti and certain high dollar lenses.  Bill  Barber

Well, in this particular case, said items were NOT in the safe room.  Our
safe room is the bathroom on the main floor. I have no illusion that our
condos would survive an F5 tornado, and we'd be lucky to have a slab of
concrete left. We had plans to build a darkroom in part of the garage (long
story), which would also be built to survival-room standards.

Fortunately we had no glass breakage. Next to one of the windows was a large
stack of completed 11x14 prints...

Within a block of the condos, there is probably close to 20 trees down. As
we live on the edge of town the houses, barns and other buildings that had
no protective vegetation to slow things down were destroyed or heavily
damaged. There's this one barn that is now leaning about 30 degrees over,
but it's the only one that survived at that farm. Within a 500m circle,
there are at least two houses with no roofs, and several garages completely
flattened.

Driving to work today, what I did find fascinating was that our place was
almost exactly at the dividing line where the significant damage went
south-to-north and north-to-south. Those of you familiar with supercells can
understand the significance of that. :O

We did get some damage to electronics when the power went off. My guess is
that we got a hefty spike when it went out. I don't know what all is fried
yet, but I counted three things so far.

That hail and windstorm was deafening--the loudest I've ever experienced.

But we got off very easy.

AG