Re: [OM] Credit Card Fraud

Subject: Re: [OM] Credit Card Fraud
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 15:53:20 -0700
On 4/6/2010 3:16 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> Just a heads-up.  I received a call this morning from the card service agency
> that processes my Visa charges, asking me to review some recent charges to
> establish their legitimacy.  They had noted a charge that raised a flag, but
> I don't know how they detected it.
>
> It turns out that, over the weekend, someone got my card number and made a
> fraudulent charge to the account, for the amount of $385.01.  I suspect it
> resulted from my use of the card with internet merchants, though I also use
> it around town.
>
> I have canceled the card and initiated actions to remove the charge from my
> account.  This is my first encounter with this type of thing, though I knew
> that it is not too uncommon.

I had a similar thing happen a few months ago. Because I had used that
particular card sparingly, I was able to track down where I used it in a
restaurant that almost certainly was where the number was taken. It was
certainly not the web. I told them where I thought it had happened.

You cancelled the card? My bank had already frozen it and gave me no
choice (not that I wanted one), as soon as I confirmed that the charges
were fraudulent, canceling it and issuing a replacement immediately.

> Keep an eye on those accounts!

In my case, the first charge was quite small, testing the waters, I
guess. The issuer was right on the second one within a few hours. Even
though I usually download transactions more often that I get statements,
they caught it long before I would have.

They also sent me a form to sign, saying that the charges were
fraudulent, so they could take action against the perpetrator(s), if
they located him/her/them.

A couple of images from that restaurant have been posted here; none of
the staff, though. :-)

Moose