Re: [OM] reducing image noise

Subject: Re: [OM] reducing image noise
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 02:43:41 -0700
On 3/14/2010 9:33 AM, John Hudson wrote:
> On the few occasions I raise the in-camera ISO rating to 1600 or beyond to
> capture images, especially of people, in poorly tungsten lit surrounding the
> images are invariably "noisy".
>
> To what extent can this noise be reduced using Photoshop to give the
> impression that the image was taken with lesser ISO rating?

PS itself has limited NR capability. There is a tool for that, but it's
nowhere near as capable as third party add-ons. The only one I'm really
familiar with is NeatImage. I assume the other leading products would
have similar capabilities.

As in my post about CH's example, I used masking to apply different
levels or NR to different parts of this image.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/G11-ISO3200/IMG_0167.htm>

A. Noiseless Moose