Re: [OM] 357 batteries at a decent price

Subject: Re: [OM] 357 batteries at a decent price
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 15:47:51 -0700
Moose arose from the mists to add to "The thread that never died!"

Renatas are OK, but not the best, especially for storage life. Tim made
a few posts on the subject in Oct of last year, including a link to
this. <http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/PDFs/357BatteryData.pdf>

What is unknown is long/term/comparative Renata performance in
electronic shutter OMs. They are a watch battery maker not interested in
high drain performance, and their excellent looking discharge curve is
at low drain. The electronic shutters use a pulse of high drain when
holding the second curtain.

The Energizer 357/303H is specifically designed to support short bursts
of high drain (Hence the "H") AND has better storage life than the
Renata. Given a choice, I'd always choose the Energizer.

I seem to recall that the Sony and Maxcell SR44Ws are identical, but
don't recall where I saw it. The "W" has the same meaning as the
Energizer "H", and they at least used to have similar performance to the
original, excellent Energizer 357.

All the images at 357batteries.com are of the non "H" version of the
357/303, which is not as good. You can see the difference in Tim's above
link.

A. Batty Moose