Re: [OM] Another overpriced 3Ti on the 'bay

Subject: Re: [OM] Another overpriced 3Ti on the 'bay
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:53:24 -0500

On 3/10/10 12:39 PM, "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So, to wrap this diatribe (prolonged discourse) up, let me just summarize:
> The OM-3Ti is an unique camera within the OM line and is recognized as a
> "collectable", but to the dedicated photographer represents the "best of the
> breed." The camera is much more than the sum of its parts--and demands the
> best from the photographer. It is not as easy to use as an electronic
> wildabeast, as there is almost no automation to speak of, so the
> photographer has to play a much more active roll in shooting the camera.

The OM-4T has a manual mode for those times when you want full control. The
battery dependence thing is a non-issue because the thing that sets the 3Ti
apart from the OM-1 is the metering system. Guess what, it takes batteries.
To me the metering on the 3/4 series cameras is the reason to use them. They
need batteries, so I carry extra batteries. Of course you could carry a
handheld meter or just guess if your batteries die, but in that case a $100
OM-1 will do nicely.

> Are my pictures "better" with the OM-3Ti than the other OM bodies? Actually,
> yes. It is specifically due to the above paragraph. The camera demands that
> I step up to the plate and swing for the fences. There are no "base hits"
> with this camera--it's an all or nothing camera. Then there is also the part
> about "raised expectations." This is the self gnawing thing where you know
> you have a special camera so you work extra hard to get the most out of it.
> A mere "snapshot" is kinda below it.

The stuff in the paragraph above and the one below, is saddening to me. If
you work extra hard because you have a certain camera, you're in photography
for all of the wrong reasons. I work extra hard on EVERY photograph that I
make because I am a perfectionist. My philosophy is this: "If you're not
going to do it right, don't bother to do it at all". All my classmates in
art school said I was 'anal' about my work. Yeah, so? How many of them are
still doing photography? Two of us! It is about the picture to me. Nobody
who looks at my work on my website, or in an exhibit or in a magazine gives
a damn what gear I used. Its the picture that matters. I've sold prints done
with old cameras I paid $25 for on ebay. I worked just as hard making images
with such cameras (old cameras are a hell of a lot of fun!) as I do with my
expensive gear. I have never felt like a better photographer while holding
something like a Hasselblad (to point out another camera that the gearheads
say similar things about), nor have I felt the need to 'work harder' because
of it, and I certainly never thought that 'mere snapshots' were not good
enough for some cameras.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography