[OM] Straight from the DIY departement...

Subject: [OM] Straight from the DIY departement...
From: manuel viet <manuel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 00:56:00 +0100
Toying around a new camera shortcomings is a joy in itself. I was wondering
which external viewfinder to attach to the e-p1; honestly, I find the VF-1
bulky, limited and expensive. Then I stumbled upon this page many of you may
already know: http://www.ragarecords.com/photo/diy_viewfinder.html

At least, it dealt with 2 of my griefs : bulk and price. So right back home, I
riffled through my cupboard of derelicts and found a vivitar-badged fix-focus
digicam (long dead), gutted it and was happy to find a completely self-
contained viewfinder so small I could tape it on the spot on the hotshoe
plastic cover for tests.

Verdict : it does the trick (covers the 18mm position on the 14-42), with as
much fonctionality as the VF-1 (read :zip, none).

But it could really do better with a more sensible firmware. Please, Mr
Olympus, give me a menu option to bring that lense to hyperfocal while
shutting off the LCD on the 'Fn' button.

(May take pictures if someone's interested in this hack).

Now eyeing with envy this bright viewfinder on this looking-good-but-dead-as-a-
dodo Vito CLR... 50mm 24x36 brightlines... Yummy !

--
Manuel Viet