Re: [OM] Bloviation [was Contrast focusing speed]

Subject: Re: [OM] Bloviation [was Contrast focusing speed]
From: Sandy Harris <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:53:24 +0800
On 2/19/10, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Full credit to Panny and Oly for leading the way toward high end
>  non-reflex cameras. I suspect the driving force was Panny, as they
>  didn't have an existing small DSLR line to take sales from - still ...
>
>  It's the wave of the future and I'll be there when other features become
>  competitive for my desires. ...

> > The Digital Pen is an advancement?  Just tell me exactly
> > how this is an advancement? All they did was take existing
> > technology ... Nothing new, just repackaging.
>
>  Looked at that way, the original Leica was just repackaging. Find an
>  individual element in it that was a new idea. Taking already existing
>  elements and combining them in a way that changes how they work together
>  and are used can be a profoundly creative act.
>
>  I'm not claiming that µ4/3 is as creative as the original Leica, but it
>  is a significant change. Everybody who has been paying attention has
>  known for ages that EVF/LCDs will eventually replace reflex mirrors in
>  all but specialized cameras sooner or later. Panny and Oly took the
>  plunge, tried alternatives configurations and started the practical
>  future of the (D)SLRs replacement.
>
>  Just because it doesn't meet your needs and desires - nor mine - doesn't
>  mean it isn't significant.

I wonder if a camera that is to medium format as the G1
is to 35 mm format is at all likely? An EVIL setup that
can take its own lenses or, with adapters, almost
anything out there?

Hmmm. Pentax 645 and 67, Hassleblad, Mamiya, Fuji,
Pentacon, 645 Contax, ... quite a bit of good glass on
the used market.

Weight and mirror slap are more of a problem for
MF designs than 35 mm or APS-C or 4/3, so an
EVIL camera -- lighter and no mirror -- seems even
more attractive there.