Re: [OM] Semi-incommunicado

Subject: Re: [OM] Semi-incommunicado
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 16:22:19 -0500
Some do. I've had a few friends do that kind of work making $11-$12 an hour.
That's not a lot of money but its enough to survive on. Consider that 75% of
the jobs in the city I live in pay less than $8 an hour! An individual with
no kids needs at least $11 an hour (assuming 40 hours per week...fulltime
work) to survive. Note survive, not live well. Poverty is the 800lb gorilla
in the room that no one wants to admit exists in the USA and if the
government would stop lying about the poverty rate here they'd admit that
60% of the population is in poverty in the USA. They claim its only about
15% because they have the income level that they consider poverty set at
about 1/3 what it should be. The official poverty level for a family of four
(mom and dad and two kids) is only $13,000 a year. ONE person making that is
in poverty! Get real here! That family of four making twice that still
couldn't eat 3 meals a day for every family member if they want to live in a
building, not in their car.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography