Re: [OM] Semi-incommunicado

Subject: Re: [OM] Semi-incommunicado
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 20:03:38 -0800
Gotta love the way a simple message here morphs into a lengthy,
divergent thread. I had Carol read it, to get more idea of what this
group is like. She quite enjoyed it.

On 2/12/2010 7:32 PM, John Hudson wrote:
> And what would be wrong with a well educated Indian gentle person manning the
> telephone ?

Nothing at all, except ...

On 2/12/2010 8:14 PM, Chris Crawford wrote:
> Because they often speak poor English and are difficult to communicate with.
> My hearing is poor and I simply cannot understand them.

My hearing is pretty good, and I still have trouble understanding some
of them.

On 2/12/2010 8:14 PM, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> The problem is not that they're Indian but that they're in India,

Indeed, the thing I've noticed is that they believe they speak excellent
English. And that's probably true - where they live. I'm sure they and
their acquaintances can carry on lengthy, complex conversations amongst
themselves. So they can't really understand how difficult to understand
they are to many other English speakers. If they did, they might speak
more slowly and carefully.

Then again, we aren't conversing about the weather, but about sometimes
arcane technical problems, where clear understanding even with native
USian speakers is sometimes difficult.

> don't really understand what your problem is and have no way of fixing it
> apart from passing on a message (hopefully).

Unfair to some of them, in my limited ( and happily so) experience.

> I am  assuming here  that your call centres have also been outsourced to the
> subcontinent and that sweetly semi-comprehensible people keep ringing you in
> the evening to suggest that you change your phone service provider...

Not so here. I assume it's the US govt Do Not Call list and caller ID.
We get many fewer solicitation calls than before the DNCL and ignore
those obvilusly from telemarketers.

Moose