Re: [OM] Focus Screen was: Ten more rose photos

Subject: Re: [OM] Focus Screen was: Ten more rose photos
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 14:51:22 +0800
All the AF SLR in the film age did not came with a split screen, it is not
related to whether the screen will be darken with the lens or prism size. I
belive it is mainly due to focusing error in the AF system, if there is
split screen on the camera users can easily see the discrepancy and
complain, it don't have to wait until now. Now with the DSLR, people found
focusing error much easier and camera manufacturers started to implement the
user AF adjustment features (still may not be a total solution).

The brightness of the image inside the viewfinder is mainly affected by the
image magnification (if same lens is used), for instant the OM-4 viewfinder
is 0.85x and E-5-6xx viewfinder is just slightly larger (0.92/0.96x) so it
should only be slightly dimmer. The prism also pay its part but I belive it
is small, even the mirror prism is not that dark. You lost two stops only if
Olympus make a 4/3 camera with 2x mag.

For the lens, not everyone use a 50/1.8, there were lots of slow zooms in
the film age, for example the OM 35-105 is F4.5 at the long end with 16
elements. BTW, the kit lens came with the E-1 is a F2.8-3.5 so lens speed is
not a reason.

C.H.Ling