[OM] Spotted another rare CV 180 in OM mount --Big Foot's longer brother

Subject: [OM] Spotted another rare CV 180 in OM mount --Big Foot's longer brother
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 19:05:15 -0500
Hi Dawid,
Yeh, mine has some asymmetry when stopped way down too.  One in Nykon
mount on FM was very similar.  I have seen a few in Pentax mount ,
NIB on yabe that did not mention that "feature" though no images of the
lens stopped down were included.   Jiri is a very good egg and appears
to have sold a bunch of CV lenses--you could ask if he has seen this
one without this characteristic.  For reference purposes a CV 180 apo
lanthar F4 in OM mount in Osaka was listed used for 50,000 yen.  (Don't
ask what Cameraquest had them for  a few years ago)  The FM Nykon mount
ones seem to command about $800 and I saw on on yabe go for that.

   I really could discern very little  deleterious effect of the
aperture asymmetry, though I have not yet  used it stopped all the way
down.  I think back lit subjects and specular highlights where the
aperture shape can really be seen would not benefit form this.  The
bokeh is good though not quite up to the CV 125 macro, IMO.  The  CV180
still known as a "cream machine."  I think it is a bit better in that
dep't in APS-C.  I have yet to see any CA and I typically use it wide
open where the aperture will be perfectly circular anyway. It is a cool
lens and the OM mount and highly featured aperture issue
(I think that may be highly prevalent in the SL line ) may work in your
favor for a good deal.

Mike

SHHHHH! Keep it quiet! I don't want too much bidding competition! :-)

Mike, I you hadn't already found one (I know you were searching for a
loooong long time)
I would have immediately mailed you when the guy listed this one 2
days ago.

Just of out interests' sake, does yours also have the asymmetrical
diaphragm? I wonder
how it affects out-of-focus rendition.

Dawid