[OM] Tokina 80-200mm f2.8 update.

Subject: [OM] Tokina 80-200mm f2.8 update.
From: JOHN DUGGAN <john.duggan10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:54:14 +0000 (GMT)
Optical Instruments (Balham) have given me a ballpark figure of £60.00/$90.00
to separate and re-cement the front doublet to M.O.D. specifications.
The elements themselves are pristine, and re-assembly is very straightforward.
So this is my back up option.

I am STILL trying to get a definitive answer from Tokina UK (Kenro) as to
whether the font element is still available from Japan, and if so will they
sell me one - and at what cost. They do not seem particularly helpful.
I suppose there is not a lot of profit in it for Tokina UK if I do the repair
myself.
At least I can see a way forward.

One possible contributing factor towards the element separation is that running
under the area where the camera bag had been placed central heating pipes run.
The floor at that point gets "warm" not hot. I wonder if that could have
softened the Balsam?
However, to counter that theory, the edge of the element is still sticky four
days after dismantling it so perhaps it is just natural breakdown of the cement.

Regards
  John Duggan,
     Wales, UK