[OM] The E-3 manual and menu system

Subject: [OM] The E-3 manual and menu system
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 05:19:34 +1300
For reasons I won't go into, I spent a couple of hours using the E-3 for
photographing rose flowers in the Botanic Garden. Christchurch has a
world-famous rose garden.
I took the printed manual with me and eventually nutted out most of the
frustrating operational issues I had with it.  The rose garden has some
excellent bench seats and it wasn't raining - I spent quite some time on one
getting a numb bum.

However, two issues were not solved until I spent more time on the machine
at home.
(1) how to get out of manual mode?  It is NOT in the menu system. Oh no!
.You have to notice a button on the LHS and work that.
(2) I noticed that when I got the images into the computer the file sizes were
rather small even though I thought I had chosen the largest size (L F ). But
the printed manual referred to an even larger size  ( L SF). And the part of
the menu I was using just didn't show SF.

Image size in the menu is adjusted by finding a pictogram which looks like a
dotty squat rocket on its side.

Would you believe there are TWO of these system areas in the menu,
dealing with much the same stuff; the second one also does SF.
What kind of mental dingbat would fail to combine the two areas into one?
AND, the printed manual is NOT at all clear on this topic; also sending the
reader all over the place in the manual. Have it all in one spot?
No; too difficult !!

I hope to go back while the current overcast weather conditions prevail; this
time also with a tripod and the manual Zuiko 50/3.5.

Brian Swale.