Re: [OM] 80mm macro lens

Subject: Re: [OM] 80mm macro lens
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 11:04:16 +1100
Briefly - the troops sent out became the NSW Corps. They became known
as the 'Rum Corps' because rum was the unofficial currency and they
controlled it to their own profit. They had a odd habit of retiring
from the Corps to large rural properties that somehow they now
'owned'. MacArthur was one such, enriched by land grants. It was he
who engineered the mutiny against Governor Bligh, of Mutiny on the
Bounty fame - his second mutiny and somewhat more serious. It was not
until Governor Macquarie that the situation was rectified and
MacArthur controlled.
Many of the convicts were political prisoners, including early trade
unionsts and Irish rebels. Conditions could be worse all right. Some
became farm laborers but some were in prisons with truly dreadful
treatment (admittedly the worst cases).
My favorite story is of the First Fleet in Sydney Cove - they
established camp and about a week and a half later, in the first days
of February 1788, they finally allowed the women convicts off their
ships. The evening that followed was something of a revel, involving
soldiers, convicts and female prisoners, many of whom were street
women. It ended at midnight when lightning struck a tree in the middle
of the camp - some saw it as sign of God's displeasure at the general
behaviour.
Thus, the first major celebration at the settlement in Australia, a
Thanksgiving if you like, was an orgy.
It's a tradition worth reviving, perhaps.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx