Re: [OM] Lighting for a computer work area

Subject: Re: [OM] Lighting for a computer work area
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 19:11:31 +1100
I'd expect to pay more than that for 40 watt cold fluoro (energy
saver) lamp (not really a bulb is it?) - remember it has an equivalent
output of around 150W (though quoted equivalents are usually
optimistic in the extreme)..
These are available in 3000degK (warm, tungsten yellow) and 5000degK
(cool, daylight) from my local hardware superstore at more than double
that price. For viewing a computer screen, I'd recommend cool lamps.
The strongest usually used in a domestic room is 18-24 watt so make
sure it's not too powerful!
The IKEA fitting has a max rating of 40W STANDARD BULB for heat
dissipation reasons. The energy saver lamp is far more powerful but
does not get hot - just a bit warm - so that shouldn't be a problem.
(They recommend and 11W lamp of this type, 60W equivalent). But why
kill most of the light with a big metal shade? And it needs a special
fitting.  If you have what we call a batten fitting on the ceiling
(basically just a light socket with a collar attached directly to the
ceiling) then you can fit a globe and cheap flat cone shade to it and
throw a lot of light across the room. Or buy a drop shade and cord
with a plug that fits straight into the battern socket on the ceiling
if you want to bring the light source down. (Those can be had
cheaply). But the shade should be clear glass or metal with a cold
white interior or you'll get some light colouring.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx