Re: [OM] Some casualties of Florida's freezing weather

Subject: Re: [OM] Some casualties of Florida's freezing weather
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 17:02:07 -0500
I don't know what the fish are (there are just two species) but I was
very surprised to see they had succumbed to the cold.  There was no ice
on the pond.  The lowest temperatures were below freezing at night only
for a few days and the lowest here was 25 F (-4 C) with a couple days on
either side where the low was a few degrees higher.

But the water was very shallow... probably averages only about 1 foot.
If you look at the photo of the pond  you can see that the high water
mark is very much higher.  At the present water level there is no
connection to the inlet and outlet streams.

Before sending I decided to check the Florida Fish and Wildlife
Conservation Commission's website.  The nearest fish appears to be a
Warmouth <http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/Freshwaterfish_Warmouth.htm>
The appearance is very similar except that in death and underwater the
Warmouth's coloration is not seen.  I didn't find anything else that
looks like the second species (not seen in my photo)

Chuck Norcutt