Re: [OM] Fox Terrierorists: was Christmas lunch

Subject: Re: [OM] Fox Terrierorists: was Christmas lunch
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 17:54:39 +1100
The Parson's type is longer in the leg I understand.
Here's Polly's baby pix -
http://www.pbase.com/afildes/polly

Fruit bats? You mean fox headed, the size of a small cat and with a
5ft wingspan? Bats 'roost' all right - in millions, but it's unusual
to have a singleton, either a microbat or fruit bat. We're a bit far
south for fruit bats (too cool) but there was a big colony of Grey-
headed Flying Fox close to the city (Melbourne) and I enjoyed seeing
them fly through the floodlights at night football games. They forced
the colony out of the Botanical Gardens because the trees suffered and
there was fear of disease -
<http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/nervous-wait-for-three-men-bitten-by-mad-bat/story-e6frg6nf-1225816783761

We have microbats (insectivores) that form small collonies in hollow
tree trunks - that's what the boxes are for.
Polly would hardly notice them - she barks at the parrots and
cockatoos by day and brush-tail possums by night. They all maintain a
dignified distance and manner.

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx