Re: [OM] Fox Terrierorists: was Christmas lunch

Subject: Re: [OM] Fox Terrierorists: was Christmas lunch
From: Candace Lemarr <CandaceRocks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 08:52:01 -0700
Hi Andrew,

Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Polly was spayed at 6 months.

We had thought to let Sophie (our JRT) have one litter then spay her.
But when the kids came along, she really got moody and hormonal...and so
we decided to spay her about 10 months later.
> I'm now quite depressed.

Nothing that a few Polly kisses won't cure? ;-)
> Was that a live lizard?  :-)

It was, indeed. I watched to see if anything came out of the pipe after
I physically removed her from the site, and sure enough, out came the
little blue tailed guy.
> We have rats, not mice. I think the Kookaburras eat the mice (and
> lizards).
> She's very, very interested but they're a bit too smart for her.

Hmm...I bet she'll figure it out soon enough. Is she a Parson's JRT?
Ours is a smooth coat "underdog", very short. She weighs about 14 lbs.
I've seen Sophie try to go after a badger...don't know how that would
have ended if I hadn't been able to get her in time. Have you seen any
documentary about Killer Whales (Orca Whales) and how they "play" with
their food, seals, before they eat them? You know how they toss them
very high into the air with their noses or fins, watch them spin end for
end, then hit them again with their nose or fin, and watch them sail
through the air...over and over again? That is identical to how Sophie
treats a mouse, except she uses a paw and not a fin, along with her nose
and teeth. Depending on one's point of view, it is either hilarious or
very sad. :-) She is relentless, and will only stop once the critter is
dead.
> Saved from a bat?! Oh yes, great big vicious things they are!

Well, she thought she had "saved" us. She was rather proud. I'm guessing
the cat had caught it, brought it in, and then Sophie found it...at
about 2am.
> Aren't they protected species around there?

Don't know...this was a fruit bat, of which we have plenty. I have one
that has roosted (do bats roost?) under my front porch eaves for the
past 5 years or so.
> I must put up a bat box.

And watch Polly have a conniption! Could be entertaining...
Here is a picture of Sophie taken this past summer:
http://candid-captures.smugmug.com/Other/Online-Sharing/10811670_998Pq#758773372_vmQaY-L-LB
It is intentionally soft, I was playing with my brand new that day E-30
and tried the "soft focus" art filter on the dog. :-)
No post processing applied other than the in camera filter.

Candace