Re: [OM] So good, I bought it twice.

Subject: Re: [OM] So good, I bought it twice.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 13:31:13 -0600

> Man I loved that Agfa paper. Guess I'll order some of this.

I never used it before. My dad's darkroom was always a Kodak shop except for
some old Defender. I pretty much used Ilford products and based my operation
around that. The Agfa papers were never available locally, so I never used
them.

Mike Johnson had written positively about the paper and knowing that my
desired asthetic is similar to his, I decided to give it a try. Boy, was
that a great decision.

One strange oddity about the paper--I do question the source of some of the
brightness. I suspect that it uses more whiteners than before. I'm not
hearing any complaints about it, but I think that might be the primary
difference. The shiny-side of the paper is dramatically lighter under my
amber safelight than other papers. No mistaking which side is which. This
was always one of those weird hassles I've had with Forte papers--you can't
tell which side is which. Usually the curl is the only clue, but the matte
papers are especially tough to tell and more than once I've tried printing
on the cardboard. (am I the ONLY person to have made that mistake?)

OK, I MUST complain about something. Need to be fair and balanced.  The
11x14 paper is in a black plastic liner bag at least one, probably two sizes
too big. As a result, I'm always fighting the bag and it's impossible to get
it back in the envelope. Since I don't have a light-safe paper box, I ended
up just throwing the black liner bag inside a changing bag with the arm
sleeves zip-tied shut. At least Ilford's bags are usually right-sized and
you can slip them in and out of the envelopes or boxes with minimal hassle.
I'll change it over to an Ilford bag and box for my next printing session.

There!  End of grousing.

AG