Re: [OM] When technology bites

Subject: Re: [OM] When technology bites
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 21:38:47 +0200
This is precisely why I have centered my technique 100% around split-
grade printing.
This cuts out absolutely all forms of metering, calculation, in-
between grades, etc. etc.
The only thing that counts is the aesthetic of the final print. With a
lot of practice,
it's extremely efficient on paper. In at least 75% of my prints, I
achieve my exact desired
end-result using 1.5 sheets - two test strips of 0.25 sheets, plus the
first (and final)
print. For really difficult prints, I may use one or two additional
sheets. I think my record
is about 4 testing sheets, but this was with a print with extreme
dynamic range, and a complex
sequence of dodging and burning. Man, I still need years of practice
with my hands to dodge/burn
areas accurately. I find this very complex, and the ergonomics of my
enlarging setup (height, etc)
is not quite perfect yet for this - or I am just not very good at it
yet.

As a visual artistic process, I wanted to go for something completely
different to the
in-camera image-capturing process, which is inherently technical.
Split-grade printing
is almost as much fun as sketching or painting, i.e. no calculation,
no technicalities.

What you see, is what you get.