Re: [OM] OT - new monitor setup - UPDATE

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - new monitor setup - UPDATE
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 11:03:36 -0600
On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 1:25 AM, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I must admit, I have been tempted by all this talk of the Samsung 2350, and
> from previous discussions, to use my Christmas money on a second display.
>  But I have probably better things to do with the physical desk space -- like
> make it tidier ...

Chris,
The 2350 is 16:9 widescreen and IMO a poor man's alternative to a dual
screen setup.  Were I in your shoes, I'd either replace your single
monitor (assuming it's "normal") with a wide one, or just get another
that matches what you've already got.  If you've already got a
widescreen, I'm not sure why you'd want two.

This one seems so far to be a nice improvement for me.  I've been
using a 16:9 screen at work for a year or so and like its features and
the ability to get by without the footprint of a dual monitor system.
But a dual system is still better if you've got the space for it.  I
barely have the space for the widescreen as it is.

If this monitor is better than what I had, that still does not
necessarily say much.  I am having a problem matching screen to print
output.  I think that's because for the first time I am working with a
screen that has more color subtlety than any I have ever had before.
I've been depending upon my old Colorvision spectrometer to build a
reliable profile for it.  Prints look good, but they just don't match
the detail of the monitor.  This is a new experience for me.

For example, ORF files in Studio 2 used to look a trifle bland if set
to "Natural" (as opposed to "Vivid").  Now the natural setting is
completely adequate.  Vivid is definitely(too)  vivid.  If I am going
to use this monitor as the basis for decisions about color, I shall
need to increase the saturation in the printer profiles I build and
tame down the color as I work with it in Studio 2 and PS.  Oh, and
also redo my web galleries, which look garishly vivid now.  I think
this is the right place for me to be, but it is different, and a
little disconcerting, since my reality, as it were, has shifted a bit.

I know Samsung has a good reputation right now, but my mother's
Samsung LCD TV crapped out after 18 months.  I didn't buy it on the
basis of a lot of research, so I am an unwilling example for others in
this case.  Still, at the moment I am feeling lucky as it has met my
hopes so far.

Joel W.