[OM] Mac BS [was OT - new monitor setup]

Subject: [OM] Mac BS [was OT - new monitor setup]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 22:11:16 -0800
khen lim wrote:
> You can shout but buying a computer with a Giorgio Armani suit on and a dash
> Christian Dior perfume is just that - not much of an advantage these days. -

Worse that that, really, from my perspective. Macs are perfectly fine
computers, as far as I can tell. A bit more expensive for the same
computing power, but I can see an aesthetic choice justifying that.

But for someone like me, and the millions in the same position,
switching just makes no sense. I've been using Windoze for decades. I'm
familiar with it, comfortable with it. I know others have reported all
sorts of issues with Vista. I bought a machine with it pre-installed and
it has been absolutely rock solid. Very, very occasionally, some app or
other will crash, probably memory leakage, but the OS is unaffected.
It's been like that Energizer bunny, it just runs and runs and ...

So why would I even consider trading something that does what I want
reliably for a more expensive machine and OS? Even if the OS is perfect,
which is clearly not the case, what about the time spent learning the
ins and outs? Time spent learning how to make something work is time not
spent in things I actually want to do.

Then WHAT ABOUT THE SOFTWARE? I have a sea of Windoze specific software,
from expensive apps to free utilities. I know how almost all of it
works. Sure, there will be equivalents, maybe already in the OS, but
they will work differently. Where can there possibly be sufficient
payback for the endless $ and hours I would spend getting myself up to
the capabilities I already have, but on a different OS?

Hey, if all one does is email, maybe a little writing and web surfing,
great, no problem, switch away. For broader, heavier duty uses, it's a
different story. Yeah, yeah, I know about Virtual PC, Parallels, etc. I
should pay both for a new platform and for another layer of software
just to run the stuff that already runs native on what I have???

In my particular case, I still do some support using a Windoze only
development system of a Windoze platform MIS I developed for a corporate
environment. I should do that on a virtual OS, risk some subtle
incompatibility and ask to get paid for it? Pleeease! Local, server and
net OS upgrades at my client are scary enough.

So Mac folks, love your pretty machines and lovely, feline OS, stroke
them, hear them purr, feel the love, but please, please, leave those who
are happy with their different religion free of proselytizing.

(Yes, Chris, I know about the crap PC at your church. That's a local
problem. If it had a crappy priest, would you be pushing us all to
change religions?)

Moose