Re: [OM] OT - new monitor setup

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - new monitor setup
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgonzalezgentile@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 03:31:59 -0200
Yes, interesting to say the least: before buying this 1TB "My Book", I
tried the smaller 500MB "My Passport" (powered by a 30 cm USB cable -
if I added 60 cm of cable, it wouldn't work ...).
WD "My Passport" worked just the same as "My Book": needed to install
SmartWare to be seen by XP, 7, etc, ...oh! and a tweak to be used by
TimeMachine. There's a virtual CD inside the HDD to install the
driver, otherwise XP sees it as an 'unknown USB storage blah blah ...
'. Unless using a notebook or netbook, I wouldn't recommend the
elegant My Passport devices.

Nonetheless, there seems to be some way to bypass SmartWare, couldn't
study the full user manual, got this device since yesterday and was
short of time.
I'm very annoyed right now: 10 files failed to be backed up into My
Book because of 'access denied'.
And there seems to be no way to copy the contents of a DVD, just by
copy/paste, into the WD device. Data must first be copied to C, then
to H (H = My Book). A most probable source of errors, isn't it?

Fernando.

2009/12/31 C.H.Ling <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Interesting, all my external USB hard disks do not require software to see
> them but they are 250 and 500GB.
>
> C.H.Ling

Dr.Fernando González Gentile
Av.L.P.Ponce 1526B