Re: [OM] Really wide medium format

Subject: Re: [OM] Really wide medium format
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 02:39:12 +1300
To answer one of Chuck's questions; use of the  viewfinder provided with
the Obsession 617 involves some guesswork and some practice. In the few
rolls of film I have put through it so far, I have made some mistakes.
However, I also got some OK.

Re centre filter. My wide-angle MF format "hero" is Andris Apse.
http://www.andrisapse.com/
I happen to own a copy of nearly every book he printed, and I just won on
auction a set (actually 3 sets; no choice it was 3 or none) of 15 of his prints
on good art paper??  about 680mm x 400 something. Maybe I could digitally
photograph a few and show what results he gets. I know he has several
Linhof Technoramas of diverse flavours. They will have Schneider lenses
with centre filters.

Using transparency film, his images are bright, with clean colours, and
sharp. No light fall-off.
I do have a video of him working that came out on local TV, and I know he
now uses PS to make minor amendments to his images.

I guess I could also photograph some of his book images. His most recent
book costs about $4,000 (NZ) per copy. The last one I bought cost me $150
NZ, and the images are wonderful.
This book and others are available online from Craig Potton Publishing.
Craig also is no slouch with a camera, and for years he used the Asahi
Pentax 120 MF SLR that looks like a giant 35mm SLR.

Oh well, this digest is a small one and at 2.30 am I can now go back to bed,
having had my photography chatter satisfied.
Nathan's Seville senoritas are great. The reference to questionable cameras
on display leaves me a bit puzzled, Nathan.

Sometimes when I see all the people shots on the forums I frequent (
including the Cosina-voigtlander usergroup) I am tempted to shoot people
as well as landscapes. Pun noted. Not many peeps here where I am though.
Landscapes don't move as much but the waiting to get a good composition
may be as long a duration.

Brian Swale.