Re: [OM] Olympus E-P1 + Zuiko 40 F2

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus E-P1 + Zuiko 40 F2
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 11:53:22 +1100
The 'ghosting' looks like what's sometimes called veiling flare - the
misty look that affects the whole image and is well known to
rangefinder users with old Leica lenses. Seems to be caused by light
partially reflecting back and forth from the element surfaces and
interfaces. Stopping down reduces the problem. Using a 50/1.4 as a
portrait lens, it might almost be an advantage.
It's long been argued that the cheaper, slower OM Zuikos do better on
four thirds than the classic, fast, lust objects - thus the slower
21mm or 24mm. Good news for the pocket. Once again, the 200mm f4 or 5
gets a positive mention.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx