Re: [OM] transferring mini DV cassette video to CD / DVD

Subject: Re: [OM] transferring mini DV cassette video to CD / DVD
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 00:55:56 +0800
The quality of the image depends on the MPEG engine (if you want to make
DVD), a high quality DVD recorder can do very well, I have a JVC DR-MH30S,
for TV programs recording there were no noticable loss in quality if you
record them at highest quality mode. I also recorded some Hi-8 video tape
through s-video cable, the quality is better than using computer capture
card with the realtime MPEG engine I used.

But I never consider to make a real use of the DVD recorder to process my
personal video since editing is very inconvenient and you miss a lots of the
features available with computer software like menu, subtitles, color
correction, volume control, adding of sound track....etc.

With firewire transfer, the data you got from the cassette is the raw data,
which is no loss. Loss happen when you convert them to different format.
Pinnacle has a rather good MPEG2 engine although it is not as good as the
one in TMPGEnc. (I have Pinnacle 10.7 and TMPGEnc 3.0 Xpress) but the
different is very small you may not notice without immediate A to B
comparison.

It is not the right time to purchase a DVD, I have not use my DV tape for a
long time, many current DC has 720p video mode and my 5D II has 1080p video.
They produce much better quality than DV and DVD. You better keep using your
Pinnacle Studio 14 which has HD capability, it is the future. You may also
try to encode your DV videos with H264 to see if the quality is better. But
then you can only play on your computer but not your DVD.

C.H.Ling