Re: [OM] Digital vs. Film, Round 10203030330...

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital vs. Film, Round 10203030330...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 18:14:49 -0500
Probably what no one has ever told you is that aRGB is an *editing*
space and sRGB is a *display* space (and also a capture space).  Just as
you can with 8 bits easily destroy smooth color gradients when editing
you can also go outside of the color space when editing with sRGB.
Conversion to aRGB was meant to be a temporary editing step.  Once
through editing you would convert to an output profile just as you
convert 16 bits to 8 bits for output.

At least so says Bruce Fraser, Chris Murphy and Fred Bunting in Real
World Color Management (second edition)  I quote page 278:
Device Independent RGB
One solution, embodied in Adobe Systems' applications but usable by
others, is to use a device-independent, gray-balanced, perceptually
uniform space such as Adobe RGB (1998) for editing.  This approach has
proven sufficiently popular to spawn a plethora of editing spaces -
often named for their developers - and debating the merits of each is
decidedly outside the scope of this book.  Instead, we'll simply say
that the main criterion in choosing an editing space is its gamut.

Bigger isn't necessarily better.  The trade-off is between finding an
editing space that won't clip colors in either your capture or your
output, and finding an editing space that doesn't waste huge numbers of
bits describing colors that you can't capture, display, print or, in
some cases, even see.  In practice, it's pretty much impossible to find
a space that contains all your colors yet doesn't waste bits, so you
simply have to pick the best trade-off for your particular purposes.

Chuck Norcutt