Re: [OM] IMG: Learning About the E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Learning About the E-1
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 08:55:00 -0600
JDub wrote:

> I'd experiment with a lighter setting, as the NR version looks
> slightly softer than the original.  However, bear in mind I don't mind
> the noise at 800 anyway and much prefer some noise to any possible
> softening.  YMMV.

The E-1's biggest issue is chroma noise. The luma noise is actually quite
pleasant, the but the chroma noise reminds me of elcheepo ISO 400 print film
processed in an uncalibrated minilab. Fortunately, chroma noise is easily
whacked and when doing so it does not do ANY softening.

I suppose that I'm not too worried about the E-1 at ISO 800. I've developed
a few tricks of the trade when shooting it there and have shot it very
extensively indoors for both recreational shooting and professional
shooting.

It isn't stupid-clean like the Nikon D3, but unlike most digital cameras it
doesn't lose tonal separation at higher ISOs. The noise floor increases, but
the assignment of tones to the proper zones is maintained. The common fault
with digital cameras at higher ISOs is that to counter the raising noise
floor, the camera reduces the effective dynamic range of the picture to keep
the noise below the threshold. The problem with this is that the remaining
dynamic range is squeezed into a reduced scale. It passes DPReview's tests
with flying colors (or non-colors in this case), but then the grousing is
that the high ISO images are "flat".

No free lunches either way.

AG