Re: [OM] Tinkering with a f1.8 Zuiko

Subject: Re: [OM] Tinkering with a f1.8 Zuiko
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 17:27:17 -0500
The "correct" fix is total disassembly, cleaning and re-lubing of the
helical.  However, you can often get away with swabbing the blades with
Ronsonol lighter fluid and then working them (or trying to) until the
solvent evaporates carrying the old lube with it.  You may have to do it
a dozen or otherwise many times before it's cleaned enough that it
starts to operate.  Ronsonol is specified here because it's pure naptha,
works well and comes in a can holding a small quantity and also has a
convenient pin hole spout.

Whether you go in from the front or the back depends on the lens.  Some
of the 50/1.8s have thread lock on the name ring which can be difficult
(and sometimes impossible) to break loose.  As Moose says, the first
thing to do is to remove the mount and linkage so see if damage or dirt
is the problem there.  Since you're already part of the way there I
would make the next step to see if unscrewing the rear element cells
opens everything up to reveal the back side of the diaphragm. It may or
may not.  If it does you're most of the way home.  Just drip Ronsonol on
the blades a drop or two at a time and work the blades while being
careful not to let it run through and get on the lens elements in front
of the blades.  If the blades are stuck open and can't be operated the
only thing you can do is repeatedly drip Ronsonol around the periphery
of the opening and let it slowly evaporate.  Eventually the blades will
free up and start to move.  If you can't easily get to the blades
through the back you'll have to start from the front.  Acetone (nail
polish remover) can dissolve thread lock but it also removes paint.

A very old note from John H on the 28/2.8 says that the most likely
culprit on this lens is dirty/greasy linkage and not the diaphragm so
definitely start at the back.  I think the instructions to go in through
the front assume that you are going to remove the blades for cleaning. I
try to avoid that altogether.

Chuck Norcutt

Chuck Norcutt