Re: [OM] Archival slide storage

Subject: Re: [OM] Archival slide storage
From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 14:01:41 -0800
Duncan,

Mine are the single tier boxes. The plastic inlay would probably be
considered flimsy out of the box, but while they are in the box they are
fine. I am sure that if you pulled the trays out a lot (I never do) or
'manhandle' them you might have problems. Of course when you are
handling slides you should be careful anyway. I would find it hard to
imagine a circumstance where you would damage the trays in normal use.
Some of my boxes date from the late 50s or early 60s (they were my
dad's) and they are still fine.

The dividers are molded into the plastic tray and will hold (I think) 20
slides in standard mounts. The dividers are not adjustable. I think that
Logan also makes some boxes that have slots that will hold just one or
two slides. I have one box like that from another company, they don't
store a lot of slides, and are difficult to deal with. I think those
boxes were originally intended for holding glass mounted slides.

As far as storage space, the Logan boxes are tough to beat, you can get
a lot of slides into a very small space. If the storage environment is
good they do a fine job of protecting the slides. I have no idea if the
plastic is archival, but out of all of my slides I have not experienced
many problems, and it is more related to film type than how the slides
were stored.

Jim Couch