Re: [OM] ACR in PSE 8.0 was: Who in the world writes this junk? - Raw so

Subject: Re: [OM] ACR in PSE 8.0 was: Who in the world writes this junk? - Raw software rant.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 19:48:03 -0800
Ken Norton wrote:

> Chuck, the way I understand it, at issue is how the nearest neighbor
> calculation is performed to determine color.
>
> The Olympus pattern is designed as a four-pixel (RGBG) quadrant whereas the
> more typical array is the triangle of red, blue and one green.

Oops, more inaccuracy that I didn't yet address directly. You've got the
4/3 array partly right, but the others badly wrong, as they are also
arrays with two greens for each red and blue, but the arrangement on the
sensor is different. One may easily think of them as a "triangle" for
processing, but physically, that's not true

> You wouldn't see any difference (other than some color-space/gamut shifting
> which is another nasty byproduct of incorrect demoisiacing) in most of the
> range of colors and intensities, but once you get in the top stop of dynamic
> range, the conversion breaks down and what was intended to be a four-pixel
> quadrant with two greens no longer is able to handle the highlight
> transitions.

I'm not sure which arrangement you are talking about nor what you are
saying. Insufficient explanatory detail or insufficient reader smarts,
take your pick.
> <snip useful explanation>.

Do you mean maze, or maize? Most people seem to describe these artifacts
as like mazes. I suppose, as an Iowan, one might see them as like
(Indian) corn. :-)

> Rumor has it, and I have not been able to confirm it, so take it just as
> hearsay, that the Olympus sensor uses two different types of green pixels
> with slightly different wavelength sensitivities--not too different than the
> Sony sensor used in the DSC-F828. I would dispute that claim based on
> extensive research and detective work of the Kodak CAF sensors used in the
> E-1, E-300, E-500 and E-400. However, it would not be beyond the realm of
> possiblity that the pigments used in the Panasonic supplied Olympus sensors
> are different than the ones used in the Panasonic sensors. Doubtful, but
> possible.

The claims I've seen are only for the Panny sensors. Should have
mentioned that. I was perhaps affected by the start of the thread with
all newer cameras, but should have known the master of the E-1 would
weigh in.

Moose