Re: [OM] [OT] Anyone know about Early Aviation stuff in UK?

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Anyone know about Early Aviation stuff in UK?
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:40:14 -0000
Apropos early aviators' licences, by chance, I discovered this:

Royal Aero Club index cards and photographs are in the care of the Royal Air
Force Museum, Hendon. The archive contains approximately 28,000 index cards
and 34 photograph albums of aviators who were issued with their flying
licences (certificates) by the Royal Aero Club from 1910-1950. These
included the first military and naval personnel to become pilots.
Information listed on the index cards about the pilots includes: name, birth
date, birthplace, nationality, rank or profession, date and place of
certificate, and certificate number, and sometimes a photograph of the
pilot.

If you don't want to visit RAF Museum in Hendon, the database is available
through Ancestry.com, at a price (though there is a free trial offer) -
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yjo6ez2

I think serendipity struck

Piers