Re: [OM] ( OM ) an off-topic question for rural USA-dwellers

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) an off-topic question for rural USA-dwellers
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 09:08:23 -0600

> I've recently had a new home built and had top of the line GE appliances
> installed.  I didn't realize until they were being installed that every one
> of them was made in China.

Well, unfortunately, no Maytag appliance is made in Newton, Iowa anymore.
But you can't blame Asia for that--just corporate ineptitude. Most are now
made in Ohio and Mexico.

Two years ago, when we moved we bought a new washer and dryer.  Strangely
enough, we didn't buy American on purpose. We made our purchase decision
based on build-quality, efficiency and quietness.  Now our laundry room is
dominated by these two huge Bosch units. It is no exaggeration that the
sound of the water running through the faucets usually makes more noise than
the washer itself.

Four thoughts about this come to mind:

1. Ownership. Where is the company owned and as a result, where are the
profit dollars going?  Samsung, for example, is not an American company, but
the profit dollars go to the owners (the stock-holders) who are located in
every country. Just a quick analysis tells me that I personally made nearly
1/3 my annual income so far this year just from my investments in foreign
companies.  If they succeed, I succeed.  (same principle applies to the big
evil oil companies--last I checked, according to my mutual fund reports, I
own enough energy stocks to keep my mouth shut and not grit my teeth so much
when I fill the tank.

2. NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard). Just because you like to eat BBQ doesn't
mean that you want to live next door to a hog confinement. A lot of the
assembly-line jobs that have moved from America to other countries have
tended to be robotic jobs (if a machine can replace human--we install
machine, otherwise we find cheaper humans) or dangerous jobs (making tires
leads to cancer and early death). I won't even talk about work-ethic.

3. Redistribution of Wealth. The richer nations send money to impoverished
nations to feed the huddled masses. Electronics Manufacturer builds assembly
plant in impoverated nation, hires locals. Locals are able to buy food
themselves. Richer nations no longer need to send money to feed huddled
masses. Eventually, impoverished nation becomes self-sustaining nation and
unless corruption gets in the way, a wealthy nation.

4. This is a global list. Just as I commented the other day about different
cultures and languages and parts of the world--yet we take and enjoy the
same exact type of photographs. How can I, in good conscience, grouse about
jobs going from America to Malaysia when one of my best friends is in
Malaysia? I grew up in Michigan--the son of a union guy. Those things we say
today about "off-shore manufacturing" were said back in the 1980's when
manufacturing jobs moved from the rust-belt to the southern states.

AG