Re: [OM] ( OM ) an off-topic question for rural USA-dwellers

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) an off-topic question for rural USA-dwellers
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 10:43:09 +1100 (EDT)
> >> of them was made in China.  Had I know earlier, I would have looked at

I'm an Australian, with BHP shares....

So all I can say is buy Chinese, it keeps a lot of Australians employed,
and my bank account happy :-)

On the quality of goods, yes there is a lot of real cheap sh!t but
there is still some top quality stuff coming out of China, with a price
to match but its harder to find and to order as the profit margins arent
there for the seller to keep those goods in stock, and they really
cant be bothered with the fuss of special orders, and the buyer wants
it cheaper anyway.

Upshot, it's still consumer driven. Those people like myself that
like better quality goods and are willing to pay for that extra mile
in quality are becoming extinct, I suspect that by the time most on
this list are gone, then ......

I bought a whirlpool (made in USA) with rotary dials and no onboard
computer a couple of years ago. That was one heck of a struggle
to find.

Sure, I'm a technocrat but why does a washing machine need a
computer ?

Cheers
Ian Manners
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire.