Re: [OM] ( OM ) New photos - non-film, sorry

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) New photos - non-film, sorry
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 11:26:45 -0600

> Mr. Sachs was so adamant on this point that I don't think he'd agree
> with your exceptions.  But you have the power to prove him wrong.  Can
> you demonstrate your point using Picture Window Pro... his own product?

Absolutely!

If I need to upsize an image (which is a normal requirement with 5MP E-1 and
A1 files), and the image contains straight lines in it, you absolutely will
get the saw-tooth pattern high-contrast edges within the image.

To break those edges up, you need to use multiple steps. But if you do the
10% resizing, things just look mushy and nasty.  The resulting image will
lack the definition a single-step resizing has.  So, to reduce the pattern,
here is my recommendation.

1. Resize by some odd percentage like 113%.
2. Resize by another odd percentage like 134%
3. Resize by another oddball like 121%

I used Fibonacci numbers in this example which yielded an almost doubling in
size in three steps. By doing this, the saw-tooth artifacts are nearly
eliminated or at least reduced enough to be a non-issue most of the time.

I've also experimented with image rotation (full image--no cropping) during
the steps.  For example:
1. Rotate image 13 degrees CCW (anti-clockwise)
2. Resize by 113%
3. Rotate image 34 degrees CCW
4. Resize by 134%
5. Rotate image 21 degrees CCW
6. Resize by 121%
7. Rotate image 68 degrees CW
8. Trim off the white edge to your original image area.

This has given simply outstanding results. Horribly time-consuming in
Photoshop, but much faster in PWP 5.0.

Resizing is pretty much a lost art now because of higher pixel-count
sensors. Only us dinosaurs with E-1s have to go through these things.

AG