Re: [OM] Zuikos on 5D-II, was: Velvia Mood

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuikos on 5D-II, was: Velvia Mood
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 09:26:29 +0200
Hola, Ángel ;^) -- Hi everybody else,

From: Angel Lobo <alobolympus@xxxxxxxxx>

From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To use the OM lenses on digital body, if you insist on FF then there is not
>much choices, I recommend 5D and 5D II. If you don't mind the weight 1Ds,
>1Ds II and III are having better bodies.

I haven't handled any of these, but the 1Ds series being in the Pro range
_may_ have some other advantages, like better viewfinder. Don't know.

>If cropped sensor is ok
>for you then you can use any Olympus E-series bodies or Pana 4/3.

Or cheaper Canons -- but they have very poor viewfinders, you may have a
really hard time focusing.

>Manual
>stop down is a problem for using OM lenses on the digital bodies but I
>mostly use my lenses at F5.6 or wider so it is ok for me.

Is not that terrible... a quick turn towards wide-open, focus, turn
clockwise (counting clicks) until desired aperture, check exposure and
shoot.

>To achieve maximum sharpness for landscape/cityscape, I use liveview
>focusing a lot, any minor focusing issue will be shown at 100% view.

This is an important feature: most "focusing" screens on (at least lower
end) DSLRs are intended for framing only, as they get a surprisingly bright
image with the slowest kit zooms, but give little information about focusing
accuracy.

However, there are aftermarket focusing screens for lowly DSLRs, even with
split-image which is much more suited to manual lenses. They may throw off
exposure somewhat, though.

Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>A Canon full frame digital (the 5D and 5D II being the cheapest
>variants) is the only camera where OM lenses can be easily adapted and
>the lens can use its full image circle.

Yes. A nice point of using OM lenses on EOS bodies (or other adapted
systems, which are just four-thirds and micro-four-thirds) is that the lens
release button is on the lens itself, which makes switching Zuikos as easy
as on a real OM body.

OTOH, switching Nikon, Contax or other brands' lenses (the lens release
button is on their _bodies_) on the adapted EOS body is more cumbersome:

1)Take off adapter+lens, like an EF-mount lens
2)Remove adapted lens from adapter -- usually pushing a little pin inside
the adapter.
3)Put the new adapted lens in the adapter
4)Put the adapter+lens on the body again

In other words, you can't just leave the adapter on the body and switch
lenses. With Zuikos, it's OK.

>All of this is only to point out that it takes a very sharp lens to make
>use of all of the pixels on a 4/3 sensor.  On the other hand, a 4/3
>sensor is only making use of the center sweet spot on any 35mm lens so
>the resolution task is somewhat simplified.

However, I believe Ángel will be using the sweet spot of most lenses, so
this won't be an issue.

>Nikon and Sony are the only other makers of full frame digital bodies.
>Neither are suitable for easy adaptation of OM lenses but a Canon can
>easily accept Nikon lenses as well as several other brands.

AFAIK, you can adapt an EOS body to use lenses in these mounts:

-Leica R
-Nikon F
-Olympus OM
-Yashica/Contax
-M42 thread

It seems that Pentax-K can also be adapted, but they won't work in all
bodies -- the 1.6x cropped EF-S is told to be fine. BTW... I've heard that
the 5D (or was it the 5D-II?) has a different mirror motion that _may_
interfere with the back element of some adapted lenses... similarly, a few
M42 lenses have that issue on the (adapted) Contax RTS-II :-(

Notable exceptions (that is, absolutely incompatible with the EOS) are:
-Canon FD (!)
-Minolta MD
-Konica AR
-Olympus Pen-F