Re: [OM] Something a bit different...

Subject: Re: [OM] Something a bit different...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 09:45:45 -0500

> I have wondered many times about self mutilation as a from of fashion.

My wife has to address this question on occasion. It comes with the
territory, I think.

It comes down to "intent".  What is the purpose of the tattoo, shaving,
unshaving, piercings and other flesh-attached hardware?

Several reasons are possible:
1. Religious. Some of these may be as part of a rite, a show of loyalty or a
symbol.
2. Social. We tend to act and do things like our friends.  You just want to
fit in.
3. Personal. Many cancer survivors have a discreet tattoo placed in a place
they see every morning as a reminder of how they are survivors and will
continue to survive. Other people will have a tattoo of the name of somebody
important in their life.  Again, this is usually very personal and rarely
are these "mutilations" seen by anybody else or they are downplayed.
4. Artistic.  There are those who view their bodies as a "canvas" and
tattoos and piercings are the paints on the canvas.

To the nattering nabobs of negativism, all "self-mutilation" is #1.  They
see somebody with a tattoo and think that person is on the fast-track to
hell.

The problem with the reasoning of #1 is that on occasion a person will
change their religious views.  Those markings from the previous religious
view are a tremendous albatross around their necks.

The problem with the reasoning of #2 is that friends change.  We grow up,
move away, or change jobs and those old social markings are representative
of a past life and may or may not be helpful in your new stage in life.
Social is temporary, tattoos are permanent. The majority of "goth" markings
fall into this category.

The problem with the reasoning of #3 really has none. How can anybody be
critical of another person for markings that are rooted in very personal
reasons.

The problem with the reasoning of #4 is that there is only so much flesh.
Sooner or later you will run out of real-estate.  We always go out of our
way to complement the wearer when it is clear that they are doing it for
artistic intent.

AG (an unmarked man--I don't like pain) Schnozz