Re: [OM] Exposure Was: raw vs JPG Was:No E-System pro camera until 2010

Subject: Re: [OM] Exposure Was: raw vs JPG Was:No E-System pro camera until 2010
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 18:58:43 -0400
I'm surprised that you seem to be having so much difficulty with white
balance and proper exposure.  For a JPEG landscape photographer I'd be
hard pressed to say when you should ever worry about white balance
unless it's at night.  At any other time the camera should be set on
daylight color balance just as though you were shooting daylight
balanced color film.

Shooting JPEG puts a premium on accurate exposure relative to shooting
raw but I don't know that any exposure rules have been changed.  On the
other hand, I don't know of any oddities that may exist in E-620
metering.  As Moose says of the 5D it's best to use a -2/3 stop exposure
adjustment.  There's probably a similar rule of thumb that works well
for the E-620.  Such simple rules aren't always right either but I don't
know that it's any worse than the metering of any given film body.
Although, if you're shooting negative film, you have to count the
exposure latitude of the negative and recognize that it may take
shooting raw to get there on the digital side.

Which brings me back to shooting raw.  I use the camera's meter as a
rough guide for the first shot under particular lighting conditions. But
the next thing I do is display the histogram for that shot and adjust
the exposure to follow the rules of "exposing to the right".
<http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml>
That may or may not be the correct exposure but it leaves me with a raw
image with ideally distributed tonal information to make the most out of
what I have.

I can understand why AG doesn't want to shoot this way when he comes
back from a wedding with 2,000 exposures.  But if you come back with 20
rather than 2,000 and they've been shot "exposed to the right" you have
all the capture information you could want to turn every one of those
images into the best it could be.  Doing an exposure adjustment only on
each image wouldn't take but a matter of seconds for each.

Chuck Norcutt