Re: [OM] No E-System pro camera until 2010

Subject: Re: [OM] No E-System pro camera until 2010
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 04:04:28 +1300
Hi all,

I'm a few days behind with reading the digests.

A while ago Ken wrote

> If I have to shoot RAW because I can't get the WB and exposure correct
> on-site, I better hang it up as a professional photographer

I don't know what it is, but with the OM4Ti and print film, and letting it
decide
the exposure most of the time, most of the time the shots come out well
exposed. I use it and the spot function taking usually one spot, (the OM4T is
much cheaper than most stand-alone exposure meters) for the 6x17
camera, and the exposures in the 6x17 come out pretty well. Although, after
just 20 photos (5 rolls) I have decided I should refine my perception of what
is an average place to take the reading so as to not expose quite so much.
I'll get there. White balance doesn't seem to be a problem.

With OM digital, my first gripe is that the rear display screen nearly always
shows a good exposure, no matter how far off good it is. Basically, these
things are programmed to tell lies regarding excellence of exposure.
Secondly, and since a lot of my photography is landscape, frequently with a
fair amount of white cloud in the view, I have not been able to figure out why
in some shots the (E-1, E-3) gets it right, and in some shots clearly takes the
reading off the cloud (ugh!).  Photos with no sky or cloud nearly always are
well exposed.
Now I try to remember to use the OM4T as well, as backup, when
photographing cloud landscapes.
I shoot JPEG not RAW for two reasons. RAW files cause me even worse
problems with computer space, and also I haven't figured out how to use the
multiple controls on the RAW converters. Maybe my computer is too slow to
cope very well, and most likely I should read up on how they work. I haven't.
And I like RAW as a name for computer files, reserving "raw" for uncooked
meat.

I'm pretty pleased with my first 20 6x17 shots though some people don't
"get" what I see. But that's photography. The viewfinder is a little bit "hit
and
miss" but I'm pleased that mostly I've guessed accurately where it
represents the picture. The BessaL & 15mm Heliar also have been a
learning curve. Very good exposure meter on the Bessa, and the Heliar has
amazingly low flare even with the sun right in the picture.

I like the Epson V700 scanner for the 617 negs and trannies.

Brian Swale.